Saints Island, Co. Longford
Saints Island is located on the southeastern shore of Lough Ree, south of the village of Newtowncashel. A narrow causeway connects the island to the mainland.
The island is a rich habitat and breeding ground for a diverse range of wildlife, and migrating birds in particular. The ruins of the Augustinian Priory of All Saints is located on the northwest corner of the island.
There is a tradition that St. Ciarán of Clonmacnois founded a church on the island before 542AD. Sir Henry Dillon was granted lands in south Longford, including the island in 1185, and an entry relating to 1272 in the Annals of Connacht attributes the construction of the priory to him.
Image dimensions: 3150 x 4724 pixels