Burrishoole Abbey, Co. Mayo
This 15th century Abbey can trace its foundation back to Sir Richard De Burgo (Burke) – Lord Mac William Oughter – Chief of the Burkes of Turlough who was known in Gaelic as “Risteard an Cuarscidh” literally translated as ‘Richard of the curved shield’. Richard in his elder years allocated land and monies to the Order of St Dominic for the construction of the abbey. Richard resigned his Lordship and took the habit under the Dominican Order. He resided here until his death four years later in 1473.
Image dimensions: 4724 x 3150 pixels